Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mind Change in the Job Search

Hi there. A little bit of personal sharing on this post.

I think it's easy for me to have the paralysis of analysis when it comes to my job search. I think there's something wrong with my train of thought here, and maybe you can help me out with it or share your experiences.

I think it has something to do with feeling like a drop in the ocean of job seekers for a particular job. My resume that I send in response to a job posting is just one of several. That phone call or email I send to a contact is the first impression he or she is going to get from me.

I think I can get myself caught up in the pressure of the situation, immediately thinking of how I'm going to blow it, or that there's no way this person is going to be interested in me, my skills, or my experience.

Having typed all of this so far, I can see the fallacy of my thinking. I suppose it has to do with attitude and mindset. Perspective, too.

What if instead I see things from an abundance perspective? That there are so many jobs out there for me? How about instead feeling confident that I'm the one for the job, that the company should be selling themselves to me just as much as I'm trying to sell myself to them? Something like that.

No comments: