Thursday, October 17, 2002

Making Contacts

I'm learning that it's important to know people in order to get that job. I've enjoyed going to career fairs and attending other functions that are geared toward meeting other people. I want to be aware of other functions that come along, too. There is also the benefit of meeting someone "cold" at the library, for example. I met a young man who knows someone from a local Dayton company, and he gave me that person's information so that I can contact her.

But the great thing about networking is that it's a Win/Win situation. I need to look for some way to help someone else in addition to my getting help. To be honest, it's been difficult to keep that perspective when I'm eagerly looking for a job. Even then, I need to keep in mind that someone will be hiring me because of skills that I can contribute to make them money.

No comments: